An Oregon couple has filed an $8 million lawsuit against their apartment company, claiming their 2-year-old daughter died because a heater in their unit raised the temperature in her room to a lethal level.
Portland attorney Jane Paulson, who’s representing Taqwa Dakhlalla’s estate, says the child was healthy before she died in December 2016 when the heater and thermostat in her room malfunctioned.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reported that the parents are suing apartment owners Cathedral Park Investments LLC and the apartment management company Gordon Properties Inc.
The defendants’ attorney said more investigating needs to be done, but so far he’s found no liability on the part of his clients.
Taqwa’s family also filed a lawsuit in Washington state against the company that’s believed to have distributed the heater, Cadet heaters. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Copyright 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.